16.7.13

La Fete Nationale/ Bastille Day/ 14th July

The fete nationale is a big deal here in France and the whole population stops working and celebrates their country, focussing on their military and armed forces. I was very excited to be able to be here to take part and see the celebrations and I decided to adopt French nationality for the day. I am very proud to be British but this past year I have been living and working in France and I do feel a huge sense of pride for the French and their beautiful country. I also fully support a day that honours the military and all their sacrifices in order to keep their citizens safe. 



I woke up very early to get a front row position for the military parade. I had a fantastic spot and was surrounded by some very friendly merrymakers who made the atmosphere festive. The parade is started by the president inspecting the troops and Francois Hollande was driven by, surrounded by horses and mounted soldiers. It was all very impressive. Thousands of soldiers and troops then march their way down the Champs Elysees, billowing French flats lining the trees either side and with clouds clapping and shouting their support. 








After the parade SP, M and I packed up a feast of a picnic and heading to the Champs de Mars along with what seemed the whole population of France. I made fresh, homemade lemonade and chunky guacamole and we picked up an armful of baguettes and patisseries. The next six hours were spent relaxing, reading, painting, chatting, eating, drinking, people watching, dozing, and gossiping underneath the Eiffel tower listening to a full orchestra in the background. Nothing could be more perfect. the atmosphere was so electric and it was so easy to just like back and think 'this is the life'. 






As if it couldn't get any better, the night was rounded off with the most impressive firework and light show I have ever seen. With the iron lady as a backgroup, backdrops just don't get more exciting and the fireworks were just endless, each burst more incredible than the last. Vive la France!!!




Mood - Very French



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your messages, I really appreciate each and every one! B x