23.2.15

Copenhagen

Firstly, long weekends are the best! I can't wait for A to finish training and have been counting down the days for nearly a year now, but at the same time, I will miss our lovely long leave weekends together. 

Recently we decided to make the most of this time together and take a little whirlwind trip to the quirky and beautiful city of Copenhagen. We stayed with some of AN's good friends, GT and JT who were not only the most wonderful hosts, but also proved to be fantastic tour guides. I cannot recommend enough seeing a city with a local, they know all the secret cut-throughs, the best cafes and which tourist traps to avoid. 


AN and JT, our lovely host

We only had 2 and a half days in the city so were keen to pack in as much as possible. I was desperate to see the little mermaid, and despite my disappointment as to just how little she turned out to be, she was quite a sight to be seen! 





We also visited the round tower, the royal palaces, the king's square, the green church (not an official name) and the famously colourful canal. 






By far the craziest place that we visited was the free state of Christiania. Yes, a free state created by a group of hippies in the 70's, which now has legal authority to remain. Visiting this collection of about 40 knocked together houses, clustered around a beautiful lake, was one of the most bizarre moments of my life. It was hard to believe that only a couple of streets away from royal palaces and bustling squares this little community could exist. 





Needless to say AN and I did not exactly blend in with the surroundings of Pusher Street, where soft drugs are legal and free love is fully encouraged. It was quite an experience, if nothing else, the artwork and creativity really was very impressive! I mean, one house had been built entirely of picture frames! 


Of course we managed to find the army barracks, placed in the middle of a star shaped island....pretty cool! AN was in his element. 


One thing I will say, I have never been so cold in my life! Copenhagen was freezing and despite reassurance that it is beautifully sunny in the summer, I couldn't quite imagine not wearing 1,000 layers to wander the city. 


I am not sure how but we also found time to squeeze in a hot choc in the Black Diamond, a visit to the old city library, a secret jazz concert, a visit to an art gallery and the biggest Mexican feast. 





(Disclaimer, although I loved Copenhagen, I was not such a fan of Danish food.....pickled herring, no thanks! AN and I decided Mexican was the best way to go) 


Thanks GT and JT for a magical weekend, we had the best time! 

Mood - 


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your messages, I really appreciate each and every one! B x