7.2.13

Marché au Puces

The 18th arrondissement is well know for the bohemian and artistic quarter of Montmartre with its cobbled squares, authentic cafes and struggling artists. During my time in Paris I have discovered that the 18th is an interesting area, beautiful in parts and in others pretty grim. Prior to living in Paris I believe that all of the city was picture-perfect with wide avenues and pretty cafes but my time in Clignancourt has proved otherwise. After spending five months in the Sorbonne Clignancourt campus I had promised myself that when I finished I would never return there, under any circumstance!

But........last week I bravely ventured back with my friends JM and AS, to visit the marché au puces, the most famous antique/ flea market in the Europe. It was fantastic, miles of sprawling stalls and fancy boutique-style shops displaying everything from 17th century suits of armour, art and furniture. The market is arranged as a series of alleys, creating a fascinating maze of all that is weird and wonderful. I can safely say that this is one of the best and most unique ways to spend a lazy sunday afternoon in Paris.





It is incredible that in the middle of an urbanised area, down the backstreet of the market, tucked away inconspicuously are some of the most incredible stalls I have ever seen. Beautiful vintage Chanel dresses are displayed on racks and Hermes scarves overflow from decadent displays creating every girl's dream shop. Sadly prices ran into several thousands but seeing such incredible items hidden away was like, I imagine, stumbling upon Aladdin's cave stuffed with treasures upon your wildest dreams.

                         


You can even buy an oversized clock or the statue of liberty if that is what takes your fancy?



Mood- Hankering for a vintage Chanel dress! 


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your messages, I really appreciate each and every one! B x