12.6.13

le Chateau de Versailles - Part 1

Mamma T arrived in Paris last week and I was very excited to welcome her to fabulous city of light and to show her around. I couldn't wait to take her to a few of my favourite places, restaurants and gardens and to show her my home, rather than just the tourist route. Both of us have been wanting to visit the Chateau de Versailles for several years and so decided to start her trip of with something neither of us had done before. I know I have been in Paris for nearly a year now and I know it is sinful not to have visited the palace before. I have been waiting for a sunny day, as I have heard that only sunshine can make the chateau even more spectacular. Not only were we blessed with a beautiful sunny day but it was deliciously hot as well and we made the most of this by enjoying the incredible gardens. One day, as we were warned, was definitely not enough so we decided to focus on seeing the palace and the gardens, saving the queen's hamlet and trianon for another trip. So what follows is Part 1- The Chateau.

As we stepped through the intricately sculpted gates into the first sloping courtyard that is framed by the palais it was hard not to blown away by the intricately sculpted gates and golden topped rooves glinting in the summer sun. 






We couldn't resist taking a few pictures and I had even put on my princess skirt so that I could sweep the marble floors and descend the staircases pretending to be Marie Antoinette. 




The interior perfectly complemented its grand exterior and no amount of words can even describe how breathtakingly luxurious and delicately decadent everything was. We passed through room after room bursting with beauty and historical significance, not just for those who lived and worked there but for the whole of France. We quickly associate the Chateau of Versailles with Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette and forget that hugely important modern events have taken place there, including the signing of the Treaty of Versailles that brought world war 1 to an end. 








Is there any more simply elegant than a smooth and cool marble floor? 







My favourite room in the house was the queen's bedchamber with its pastel colour scheme, complemented with gold trimmings. It was every little girls answer to a princess bedroom and couldn't have been more perfect. 



A sweet little selfie! We thought we would have made a good Queen and Princess.....

My advice would be to get there early as it was absolutely rammed with visitors who are hurried through the rooms and jostle for photo opportunities. We ended up ditching the audio-guides and making up our own silly little stories about its past whilst appreciating the palace for what it is; absolutely stunning. Similarly, the hall of mirrors was absolutely incredible but I feel it would only be truly appreciated if all the tourists disappeared and you were able to viennese waltz down it, swirling your silk ball gown, dripping with diamonds and accompanied by an attractive prince. Maybe that's just me? 












Mood - Ready to meet my prince for a quick dance. 


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your messages, I really appreciate each and every one! B x