3.9.13

La Pagode


English speakers are spoilt in terms of cinema and film as a large quantity of films are produced in English, and therefore we are used to just being able to watch whatever we want to watch very easily. In my opinion this has created a sense of linguistic apathy amongst the English-speaking world. This of course is a very generalised opinion but in my experience it is true. I believe that foreigners speak English to a much higher standard than English people speak foreign languages. This, of course, is largely due to education but I think that media and culture play a role as well. Simplistically, English speakers do not need to learn other languages because a large majority of popular culture, including films and television, are produced in English. Whereas, other language speakers often are forced to learn languages and are much more pro-active about learning other languages whether this is driven by need or desire. Films and television often are a crucial way that other language speakers learn English, whereas English speakers very rarely view media as a linguistic tool. These views are, as I am aware, very generalised and maybe exaggerated but nevertheless are an interesting observation.

My point in noting these opinions is to highlight the number of independent cinemas in Paris that focus on showing artistic, smaller budgeted and often foreign films. I completely respect and appreciate the existence of these cinemas. Sure we all want to go and see the next big blockbuster, however there is a whole world of beautiful cinematography and interesting, engaging and fun forms of media that people are often not aware of. I used to include myself amongst this group of people and it was only in Paris that I started to become aware of this new world of film. Not only did I discover some of the most incredible films and documentaries that I have ever seen but I also discovered some amazing independent and unique cinemas. One such cinema is la Pagode in the seventh arrondissement.


Based on a Japanese pagoda this cinema has two intimate screens, each with hand painted frescos and chandelier lighting as well as a natural tea garden overflowing with ferns and grasses. AS and I arrived early and spent a while having a drink in the garden before taking our places. Sadly, we were two of about 15 people who had shown up to see that evening’s showing and I couldn’t help but wander how many people were just up the road in the bustling UGC cinema on the Champs Elysees being crammed into one of its twenty screens. I enjoyed what felt like a private showing in my plush red velvet seat in on of the most incredible film theatres I had ever visited. (This includes my visit to the Cinema Paradiso a few months ago). I cannot wait to go back!



Mood - Thoughtful



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your messages, I really appreciate each and every one! B x